Pages

February 16, 2018

February Foliage

A parade of blooms will begin very soon, but for now in mid-February, foliage is the focus.
   
Angelina sedum set against a wall of fig ivy, each with their own fine-leafed foliage.


Proof that my midnight aloe lives despite being left outside in freezing temperatures.

A feathery larkspur volunteer hugging the edge of the vegetable garden.

Spinach sprouts that have managed to survive my kids' outdoor play. (Others were not so fortunate.)

Contrasting shades of winter vegetables: blue green broccoli, chartreuse mesclun lettuce and Oscar-The-Grouch-green arugula.

Spring bulbs (I can't remember which) and hundreds of sprouts from fallen birdseed.

A few weeks ago, I noticed the tiniest green shoots coming up from the inland sea oats and turks caps, and I took that as my queue to cut back the freeze-burned foliage. Otherwise, I was afraid I wouldn't have time to get to the task before the the brown and green were intermingled, necessitating precision pruning.
There could still be a few blasts of winter headed our way, but I'm ready to declare that spring is here in South Central Texas.
Find out what the foliage looks like right now in other parts of Texas and beyond by linking up with Pam Penick's monthly Foliage Follow Up.

No comments:

Post a Comment