Pages

June 14, 2010

Weekend Happenings

A caller to KTSA's Garden Show was having the same problem with her Giant Liriope that has plagued mine for about six months. One strap at a time, it's turning yellow and the plant is thinning. I am about 10 straps away from losing an entire plant.

Thinning liriope

Bob says liriope has no diseases or pests, but it can be planted too deeply and mulched too heavily. Armed with this piece of information, I pulled back the mulch and dirt on each plant until I exposed the root flare. Now, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Shade arrangement top view
I couldn't resist this Plantain Lily that was reduced to only $1 at Lowe's. This spring, I made a shade pot arrangement with Creeping Jenny, ferns and a Plantain Lily. The lily looks ragged under the more intense summer sun so I moved the pot, and I'm hopeful the new addition can withstand the weather.

Moonbeam Coreopsis Bags
For the backyard border garden that I'm working on, I needed Moonbeam Coreopsis. From what I've read, Moonbeam is a shorter coreopsis with lighter yellow flowers – perfect. However, none of my local nurseries stocked Moonbeam so I ordered some online and was surprised when they arrived as knots of roots in plastic bags.

Moonbeam Coreopsis
I don't usually mark plants with their ID tags, but I was worried that I wouldn't remember where I planted them. Today, I was relieved to see a few shoots poking through the dirt.

DSC_0043 DSC_0042
In the veggie garden, squash vine borers devastated our zucchini and yellow squash. You can see the areas where the larvae burrowed into the stems. There's not much I can do to fight the borers, plus it's the end of the season so pulled up the plants and buried them as deep as I could in a compost salad.

Praying Mantis
Parting Shot: Travis spotted this tiny praying mantis in our cucumber jungle.

No comments:

Post a Comment