Pages

January 31, 2011

Signs of Spring

San Antonio is bracing for a few days of temperatures in the low 20s, but spring is not far off.

DSC_0016
DSC_0018
This is my neighbor's tree. Isn't it beautiful. It's a shade tree, but I haven't been able to identify it. The leaves are maplelike. They turn red and orange briefly before they fall.

DSC_0020
This is my own silver maple in the back yard. I can see buds on a lot of branches, but too many others lack the swollen tips- a reminder that this tree's days are numbered. When the time comes, we're going to replace it with a Mexican White Oak. But for now, it's providing good shade from the west sun.

Hyacinth bulb
My hyacinth bloom is turning purple. I'm very excited to watch the process since this is the first season I've planted bulbs.

Sedum
One more sign of spring: the buds on this Autumn Mini Joy sedum are about to break. That is, if tomorrow's freeze tomorrow doesn't damage them. Today the temperatures are in the high 70s. Tomorrow, we will yo-yo to the 20s, but it won't last long. The plants know. We've passed the threshold; most of the cold days are behind us.

1 comment:

  1. Love your bloom pics - I am about to go jogging, and thanks to you, I'll be checking around for signs of spring! :)

    ReplyDelete