Pages

June 29, 2011

Sugar Water

DSC_0005
An idyllic, graceful scene: a hummer at the feeder, seen through the gentle blur of the window screen.

DSC_0066
This scene, however, ... ridiculous :) Have you ever seen a woodpecker's tongue? It's a first for me too.

DSC_0097
This bird is probably an offspring of the two yellow-fronted woodpeckers that drilled a nest in our dying tree in April. This picture is the first time I've noticed the "yellow front." Odd that they don't name the species after the colored head, which is still faint on the young birds but prominent on the adults.

DSC_0095
Doesn't he look silly trying to fit on the perch, almost like a dove? I bet he spilled more sugar water than he drank.

DSC_0045
Like a kid in the candy store, he can't help but taste a little of everything.

Wildlife keeps the garden interesting. I hope your resident critters are as entertaining and inspiring as these two are for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment