Pages

August 16, 2010

Dog Days of Summer

Last weekend, while Travis was road tripping, I treated Bailey to the Dog Days of Summer at the San Antonio Botanical Garden.

Bailey at Dog Days
She was thrilled to be my date, and I was equally as excited to have a companion who wanted to explore the gardens in August.

Sun Garden
The sun gardens were alive with butterflies and bees and color everywhere. I could only capture some of the beauty on camera since I was managing the leash.

Hot Dog
Bailey and I brought our own water supply, but we discovered that the garden staff had placed water bowls and kiddie pools at the trail heads. Very thoughtful.

Shade Grouping
The shade gardens were a welcome relief from the heat, and by this time, Bailey was tired so I was able to snap a few more pictures.

Shade Grouping
I liked this grouping. I wonder if something similar might work in the front yard under the window. I know I can grow cordyline and caladiums in that space. The other plant in the arrangement was labeled Japanese Roof Iris. I looked it up, and it needs acidic soil so I'd have to find an alternative, maybe white agapanthus.

Friends
Bailey's favorite part of Dog Days was the other dogs. She was so good at politely greeting them without making a pest of herself. All of the dogs (and people) we encountered were very well mannered. There were just right number of guests in the gardens to enjoy the interactions but still have private time with nature. If you love pets or plants or both, be sure to check out Dog Days next time.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous I couldn't go with you :(

    Next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great. I think Bob would have enjoyed it. The only thing that could have made it better was if it wasn't so hot. We finished up at 11 am so the heat wasn't too much of an issue, but it would have been nice go go on a cooler day. You should definitely take Bob.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like that shade grouping too - the cordyline and caladiums colors playing off each other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantasic idea. Bailey looked like she really enjoyed it. Wish they did the same thing here.

    ReplyDelete