Pages

August 20, 2010

Stakeout

DSC_0086 DSC_0096
My grandmother mailed me a Birds & Blooms magazine that included a simple suet recipe. I had all of the ingredients in my pantry so I gave it a try. I even sampled the treat myself. It tasted like cookie dough but with the wrong ingredient ratios.

DSC_0008
I waited until Saturday to hang the goodie outside so that I could spend a few hours spying on the backyard wildlife. One thing led to another and I figured, if I was going to sit in front of the window, I should create a bird sanctuary.

DSC_0006
First, I filled the bird bath.

DSC_0013
Next, I plugged in the fountain for some inviting sounds.

Bird Feeders More Bird Feeders
Then, I set up five kinds of bird feeders. (This seems excetric, even for me.)

Mrs Cardinal
Mrs. Cardinal was the early bird.

Cardinal and Safflowers Mr Cardinal
She and her mate like safflower seeds.

DSC_0041
This hummer was fun to watch and a challenge to photograph.

DSC_0082
The blue jay was the cleverest guest. He could extract a peanut faster than I could focus the camera.

DSC_0144
I'm glad I set up the other feeders because the only bird that I saw eat the suet was this sparrow.

The squirrel, on the other hand, wasn't picky. For him, my bird sanctuary was an all you an eat buffet.
DSC_0100
DSC_0096
DSC_0116

Here's the suet recipe in case you want to try it yourself this weekend.
1 cup shortening (Crisco)
1 cup crunchy peanut butter
1 cup crushed dry cereal (I used Corn Flakes)
1 cup cooked oatmeal
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
Mix together. Line a food storage container with wax paper and spread mix inside. Freeze until solid.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, you took some awesome shots, I'm glad you had so many visitors :)

    I love humming birds but never have my camera ready when I see one.. as soon as its out they're gone :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to try your recipe. Your photos are great! I love the photo of Mrs. Cardinal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy if you make the suet, one tip I learned: it might better in the cooler months. With the 100+ degree heat, there was a little puddle of oil that dripped onto the grass below the feeder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such a great photographer! And, thank you for teaching me what suet is! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. so much fun! love your entry about okra too - the leaves are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete