Pages

April 11, 2011

Spring Tour - Front Yard

BB 7727
DSC_0072
To go along with my Spring backyard tour, here's a quick look at the front yard. There aren't many blooms right now, just the tiny purple shamrock flowers and the potato vine along the fence.

Within a  few weeks, however, my root hardy perennials like lantern, turk's cap, shrimp plant and pride of Barbados will be up and blooming, adding their colors to the space.

DSC_0075
I think the front yard needs a focal point somewhere between the path and the swath of liriope, perhaps a tall fountain, a unique pot, a tiny tree or an obelisk trellis? I'm not sure yet. If you have ideas or inspiration, I'd love to hear them.

DSC_0089 DSC_0084
I've added a few more river rocks to my creek beds. If the rains ever return, I'm ready.

DSC_0090
Along the fence, I've added a trellis with potato vine. Usually this space is shady, but it gets hot sun late in the day so whatever I plant here has to be versatile. I hope potato vine is up for the challenge.

DSC_0065 DSC_0069
The right side of the driveway is much too sparse this season. Most of the year, the bed is full of lantana and butterflies. I probably need to redesign it and incorporate some late spring bloomers.

A gardeners work is never done... and thank goodness for that.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed seeing your front beds. My potato vine froze to the ground and is slowly recovering this spring but no blooms as of yet. You've inspired me with your river rock. There is an area in my back yard that becomes a small creek during heavy rain events; I should add rock there. I like your idea of a focal point. A fountain would give you year round interest and some visual impact when the perennials are sleeping. Look forward to seeing what you find!

    ReplyDelete