Pages

May 17, 2011

Rain Lily

Pink Rain Lily
Not only did last Thursday's thunderstorm provide a much-needed reprieve from our drought; it prompted a first ever bloom: pink rain lily (zephyanthes grandiflora). It's beautiful! It's the only pink in the front yard.

Pink Rain Lily
I bought two four-inch pots of these last fall and planted them with the mondo grass since their foliage is almost identical. I wish I could have bought more lilies and then I'd be talking about "waves of rain lilies" like the Lazy Shady Gardener, but instead, I rationed myself to two in hopes that the bulbs would multiply. It looks like the opposite has happened. Oh well. By the time we have our next rain, maybe this one will have created a few offsets and I can talk about my "clump" of rain lilies.

6 comments:

  1. I'm pulling for the "clump"! Will have to post a picture of mine - there's about 20 blooms in a two square foot area. During milder winters (I seem to recall rumor of those being a reality once upon a time), mine even stayed evergreen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pink flower is really sweet...I hope it clumps for you too. Amy over at Waiting for Plumeria also posted on rain lilies recently. They are quite the surprise aren't they? Several had popped up in the greenbelt behind my house before the rains but after Thursday's rain, I counted 70+ out there! Just naturally occurring so I think yours will spread...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    I just rationed myself to 2 rain lilies too and of the two, the rain just prompted one as well. Maybe in the near future we will both be talking about our clumps (if my dogs dont get to them first...)

    Alma Delia

    Fellow SA gardener

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the encouragement Cat.
    Alma, I'm so excited there's a fellow SA gardener online. I don't run across many. Good luck to both of us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely pink bloom! you've inspired me to post some garden pics today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! How fun to have something bloom that you weren't expecting. :)

    ReplyDelete