Pages

November 15, 2011

GBBD: November 2011

Thanksgiving is next week! Wow, where has the time gone? It's already time for the November Garden Bloggers Bloom Day. Here's a look at what's flowering in my yard.

DSC_0028
Shrimp plants
The shrimp plants are putting on the best show I've seen in the last three years. There are five plants in this shot, three that I planted a few years ago and two that I added this spring.

Turk's Cap
The turk's cap are finishing their summer bloom season, but there are still a healthy number of blooms on the plants.

DSC_0003
This morning we were blessed with a rain shower that delivered .8". The droplets weighed down this Archduke Charles rose bloom.

DSC_0014
The black and blue salvia did not weather the hot summer well, and as a result, it's fall display has been disappointing but it did offer a few new blooms.

DSC_0015
My camera skills do not do justice to the cat mint blooms. In this picture, they look like they are on the decline, but actually, in person, the blooms look very fresh and soothing, at least my cat Gideon thinks so.

DSC_0017
DSC_0016
In August, I added blackfoot daisy (top) and narrow leaf zinnia to the garden. August was probably the worst month on the calendar to plant, but I had a coupon that had to be used at that time. The plants survived two torturous months and they are thriving.

Aster
The fall asters hit their peak last month, and within the last few days, they've decline rapidly. This is all that's left of their purple mass.

DSC_0012
Salvia greggi is another noted fall bloomer. It's peak was also a few weeks ago, but the blooms persist.

DSC_0007
The esperenza - a summer time staple - is still delivering huge clusters of yellow bells, but it won't be too long before the entire plant freezes to the ground.

DSC_0005
I love this purple hyacinth vine. The seed pods are fascinating too. This was the first time I've ever planted it and I think I'll have to make it a tradition.

DSC_0022
Firespike
Finally, a first ever bloom for my yard: firespike. These plants were pass alongs from MomMom in Houston. I'm very excited to see the flower spike develop. If you're reading this MomMom, thanks!

For more November blooms, head to May Dreams Garden.

7 comments:

  1. I love shrimp plants. I just planted some in my backyard. The Archduke Charles rose is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely blooms! I think my favorite is the yellow esperenza.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blooms are looking good, beautiful roses and the firespike is well ahead of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the hyacinth vine--gorgeous photo! I know what you mean--catmint blossoms are tricky to shoot. My photos never do them justice. Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the hyacinth bean vine - been meaning to try it. Your esperanza looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful post...love the Blackfoot Daisies! I grew Hyacinth Vine once and it didn't do well...so jealous of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never had much luck with shrimp plants. Have always had to enjoy them in other's gardens.

    ReplyDelete